SIZZLERS ON THE SPOT

Grab this Headline Animator

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Participants of Olympic torch relay in Delhi

The Indian Olympic Association said a the olympic torch will be carried of by 70 people, 47 sportspersons, will take part in the Olympic torch relay in Delhi on April 17. The IOA also confirmed that Sachin Tendulkar would not participate in the Olympic torch relay. The final list of participants has no cricketer.
Actors Aamir Khan, Saif Ali Khan and Sagarika Ghatge wil take part in torch relay . Leander Paes said, "My parents have represented the country and I have represented India in the Olympics. As a young boy, Olympic was a dream for me. I'm happy to be part of the relay and I believe it would prove a huge success."

Long jumper Anju Bobby George said, "It is one of the happiest moments in my life. Of course it would be even greater if we can win medals when Beijing hosts the Olympics. I'm happy to be part of the relay and it has my full support."

Two-time hockey gold medallist G Nandy Singh will take part ."In our days, anyone could simply walk in and talk to the players. But I guess it was after the 1972 Olympic Games (when Black September killed 11 athletes in the Olympic village) that thing changed. Still, carrying the torch is an honour for me," he said.

PT Usha said, "I'm just thrilled to be here to run with the flame. I consider it as an acknowledgement of my achievements."

Ace marksman Manavjit Singh too was thrilled by the prospect of holding the torch. "I'll be getting a chance to lay my fingers on the torch and it would be an emotional moment for me. It would remind me of my responsibilities towards the country and would motivate me to give 100 per cent in the Beijing Olympics," he said.

Other sportspersons taking part in the event include Milkha Singh,GS Randhawa, Ajit Pal Singh, Balbir Singh (Sr), Dhanraj Pillay, Zafar Iqbal, Jaspal Rana, Mahesh Bhupathi, K Malleshwari, Kunjarani Devi and Abhinav Bindra.

No comments:

 
ss_blog_claim=731731c3867f3a71f52f0570e312c9e0